Most probably you have heard or read about lung cancer through media or experts, you may think that you are out of this? Perhaps you are the one who does not smoke or does not belong to a polluted area. Anyhow you must be aware of these early signs that a person shows when he suffers from lung cancer.
American Cancer Society researches have shown that 80% of those suffering from lung cancer were smokers and others were non-smokers. As in those 20% non-smokers, smoking was not the cause then other factors that caused lung cancer may include environmental factors or gene mutations. Lung cancer is the most common type of cancer and the important factor of cancer deaths. Of the newly cancer suffering patients diagnosed, nearly 14% are those who are diagnosed to have lung cancer.
Important Signs of Lung Cancer
In case you notice any of the below-detailed signs you must consult your physician as soon as possible.
- A persistent cough
- Abnormal breathing or wheezing cancer
- Hoarse voice
- Unexplained weight loss
- Back pain
1: A persistent cough
The cough created due to common cold or any respiratory disease will last just for a week or two. But in the situation cough lasts for a month or more one should get his checkup. Also, put this to your doctor’s knowledge that if you get ill frequently and each time disease attacks directly to your chest.
2: Abnormal breathing or wheezing cancer
People suffering from lung cancer mostly feel a problem in breathing. After activities patients feel short breathing or difficulty in breathing.When your lungs are blocked or constrained then wheezing happens. Don’t ignore wheezing as a symbol of allergies unless your physician has confirmed this. If you recently had not suffered from cold then you must check it out.
3: Hoarse voice
The nerve that controls the larynx can be pressed due to lung cancer. In such a case your voice will be changed and you will feel deepening or hoarseness in your voice. If this change in voice persists for two or more than two weeks you should tell about this to your doctor.
4: Unexplained weight loss
If you have lost weight it will excite you but if it happens non-voluntarily then you need to consult your doctor. If weight loss occurs in combination with other symptoms here this may be a sign of lung cancer.
5: Back pain
Lastly, the pain in joints or bones may be the sign of lung cancer but is a less-known sign. Pain in the back or hips is felt by the patients, which may become severe at night.
Diagnosis: What to Expect?
- This disease in the early stages is not caught by a simple X-ray. So your doctor will have to adapt another diagnosis technique which is a low-dose CT scan. During this technique, your body will be scanned by X-rays and a detailed picture of your lungs will be created by a low dose of radiation.
- To confirm the diagnosis your doctor may ask to have a tissue sample (biopsy) in the case scan results may appear abnormal. Sputum tests can also be held to confirm the presence of cancer cells.
- In a further step, the level of the disease will be found. In order to get an accurate analysis, your doctor may further recommend CT scans, PET scans, bone scans, or an MRI. This depends on the situation of your disease that which test will be held for you.
The level and stage of cancer, as well as your preferences, will define your treatment. If you are suffering from non-small cell lung cancer, then variety or combination of treatments will be recommended for you by your doctor:
- Surgery – In this treatment tissue or part of the lung is removed by the doctor. In such cases, specialists mostly work organized. After lung surgery, you may suffer from shortness of breath.
- Targeted therapy – Along with chemotherapy one may be recommended to take these drugs. The abnormalities in cancer cells are targeted by the drugs. Anyhow to ensure the effectiveness of the therapy your doctor will need further testing.
- Radiation – Radiations from X-rays or another source are used to kill cancer cells in this technique.
- Chemotherapy – Oral or IV drugs are given to the patients in order to kill cancer cells. Often this technique is used in combination with the above-mentioned methods.
You will have to go through radiation and chemotherapy in small cancer cases. Otherwise, to participate in clinical trials may be your second choice.
Both smokers and non-smokers can become the victim of lung cancer as there are many other factors which may lead to lung cancer. You must keep yourself away from smoking in order to keep yourself safe from this disease. In the early stages, it is easy to treat this disease.